As usual, all times Eastern and all predictions wrong.
- Michigan @ Wisconsin (FOX): So this is fun. I took a fall from a scooter on Tuesday on the way home from a Giants game. My left hand and chin took the brunt of the damage, with my left hand in particular being scraped, swollen, and bruised. In anticipation of not being sure I could type out the whole column this week, I recorded a podcast-esque type thing that I’ll go ahead and attach to this post. As it turns out, though, my hand is good enough to type up the post, so I’ll go ahead and do it. The even more fun part is if it can pick consistent winners. Anyway, I like Michigan here.
- Texas @ Texas Christian (ABC): As I referenced in the audio, I think that Texas fans don’t wanna hear it, but they’re definitely favorites here.
- Arkansas @ Georgia (ESPN): Well, I’d sure like the WHOMPIN’ to continue, but Georgia just figures to be too much of a match for the Hogs.
- Duke @ North Carolina (ESPN2): Well, I already used the basketball jokes for Duke-KU last week, so anyway this figures to be a good “get right” opportunity for the Tar Heels.
- Memphis @ Temple (ESPNU): I’m not sure what kind of season Temple is having, but Memphis is the favorite here.
- Tennessee @ Missouri (SEC): Mizzou? Sure. Tennessee doesn’t seem that good, and I’m sure the Tigers are recovered from their trip to Chestnut Hill by now.
- Minnesota @ Purdue (BTN): Both these teams have suffered bad losses this year. I view this as pretty much a coinflip. Boilermakers I guess?
- Charlotte @ Illinois (BTN): Charlotte is a spunky Sun Belt team for sure, but I think the Illini can get this one.
- Western Michigan @ Buffalo (CBSS): Buffalo? Yeah, Buffalo.
- Pittsburgh @ Georgia Tech (ACCN): Well, dang, where’d that come from? 45 points? Of offense? And a defense that seems to continue wreaking havoc? Is this team… competent? Okay, let’s not get ahead of ourselves. We still lost to Northern Illinois. Nonetheless, there is this odd feeling of hope. But my eyes are clear – this team is still young, and they may not handle some success well. I suspect this will still be an up-and-down season, and I won’t be surprised by whatever happens.
12:30: Louisville @ Wake Forest (ACC/RSN): Wake Forest is… good? What a weird thing to say, but you know, it happens sometimes.
- Southern California @ Colorado (Pac12): Colorado isn’t that good, but USC is a disaster. I’m going to go ahead pick the Buffs.
- Appalachian State @ Georgia State (ESPN+)
- Cincinnati @ Notre Dame (NBC): This is the game of the day, probably. Cincy needs this win, and so does Notre Dame. Both are after relevance and playoff chances, and Cincy’s odds are nil without this win, and so are ND’s. I think the Bearcats are that good and will be plenty motivated, so I like them here.
- Louisiana-Monroe @ Coastal Carolina (ESPN+)
- Eastern Michigan @ Northern Illinois (ESPN+)
- Oklahoma @ Kansas State (FOX): The Sooners will likely prevail here.
- Oregon @ Stanford (ABC): Stanford is competent this year, in the same way Wake Forest kinda is. The Ducks haven’t quite matched their performance in Columbus as of yet, but they’re still the favorites in the Pac-12 North until further notice.
- Mississippi @ Alabama (CBS): This game will be tons of fun and high-flying offense, but at the end I suspect it’ll be like last year and Alabama will win by multiple scores despite the game being in doubt late into the third quarter.
- Texas Tech @ West Virginia (ESPN2): Texas Tech is… kinda bad. I’ll take the ‘Neers here.
- Nevada @ Boise State (FS1): Boise? Nevada is apparently good this year, but it’s tough to pick against Boise even if they haven’t looked like themselves so far. If they don’t get this one, though…
- Troy @ South Carolina (SEC): South Carolina is bad… but not this bad. Right?
- Ohio State @ Rutgers (BTN): Buckeyes.
- Central Florida @ Navy (CBSS): UCF.
- Syracuse @ Florida State (ACCN): Syracuse. Wow that feels weird to say, but I’ve already given up on FSU.
- Florida International @ Florida Atlantic (“Shula Bowl”; Stadium): This doesn’t look like FIU’s year. I’ll take FAU at home.
- Ohio @ Akron (espn3.com)
- Bowling Green @ Kent State (ESPN+)
- Central Michigan @ Miami (ESPN+)
- Tulane @ East Carolina (ESPN+)
- South Florida @ Southern Methodist (ESPNU): The Mustangs are good, and USF is… not. Figures to be a walkover for the Ponies.
- Arkansas State @ Georgia Southern (ESPN+)
5:00: Army @ Ball State (ESPN+)
5:30: Washington State @ California (Pac12): Cal’s defense should just be too overwhelming for Wazzu.
- Florida @ Kentucky (ESPN): Sure, the winning streak is long over, the Gators should be well on their way to starting another one.
- Louisiana Tech @ North Carolina State (ACCNX): Obviously the Wolf Pack need to avoid a hangover from finally beating Clemson last week, but they should be able to do so.
- Nevada-Las Vegas @ Texas-San Antonio (ESPN+)
- Air Force @ New Mexico (FS2): New Mexico is still terrible when they aren’t playing New Mexico State, so taking Air Force here.
- Southern Mississippi @ Rice (espn3.com)
- Kansas @ Iowa State (FS1): KU might not be better than the UNLV team Iowa State whalloped last week.
- Mississippi State @ Texas A&M (SEC): Oh, the Aggies are gonna win, but I’m pretty sure in a way that will create as much drama for them as possible.
- Liberty @ Alabama-Birmingham (CBSS): Go Blazers.
- Marshall @ Middle Tennessee State (Stadium): Marshall seems like a solid team this year, and I think this should be at least a test for them.
- Indiana @ Pennsylvania State (ABC): Well, the dream of #9Windiana is likely dead for this year, and I don’t like their odds to pip one in primetime in Happy Valley, either. Could be a good game though.
- Connecticut @ Vanderbilt (ESPNU): Just… this gonna be dire. Watch Indiana-Penn State or see if the proprietors of the Shutdown Fullcast can get on TV or something. (After all, they are the stars of “the Internet’s ONLY college football podcast.) Oh, and yeah, even Vandy can win this one.
- Western Kentucky @ Michigan State (BTN): Still not equipped to deal with good Sparty.
- Northwestern @ Nebraska (BTN): Or that Nebraska might win this one? You know, I’ll give ’em this one.
- Boston College @ Clemson (ACCN): Will Clemson lose two in a row? When was the last time that even happened? I’ll still pick them just on talent, but eventually they’re going to enter USC or FSU territory at this rate.
8:00: Louisiana @ South Alabama (ESPN+)
- Auburn @ Louisiana State (ESPN): Tigers-Tigers! Auburn seems not real good though? Neither does LSU? Ordinarily this would be appointment viewing, but oof. I’ll take the Tigers at home.
- Washington @ Oregon State (Pac12): Washington showed a semblance of an offense last weekend, and I’ll take them over a scrappy Beavers team, but I’ll definitely be keeping an eye on this one.
- Old Dominion @ Texas-El Paso (ESPN+)
- Montana @ Eastern Washington (ESPN2): I’m going go ahead safely assume that this will be the only game on TV that features a blood-red field.
- Arizona State @ California-Los Angeles (FS1): These two have surprisingly similar season so far, but can UCLA prevail at home? I’m thinking yes but could see this going either way.
- New Mexico State @ San Jose State (NBC Sports/MWC)
11:00: Fresno State @ Hawaii (CBSS): Well, Fresno’s good and Hawaii’s not, but hopefully this can stay competitive into the small hours of the evening.