Happy New Year! Suffice it to say that I don’t really want to talk about football right now, but I’ll try. Here’s today’s games. As usual, all times Eastern and all predictions wrong:
- Iowa vs. South Carolina, Outback Bowl (@Tampla, FL; 11:00 AM, ESPN): I just refuse to believe Iowa is that good or that South Carolina is that bad. Hopefully The Visor spent the past few weeks coaching instead instead of playing golf.
- Clemson vs. Nebraska, Gator Bowl (@Jacksonville, FL; 2:00 PM, CBS): Why is Clemson here? I have no idea; FSU definitely got shafted. That said, I can at least appreciate the “logic” of Clemson being here (hot end to the season) and I think that gives them an edge over the Huskers.
- Georgia vs. Michigan State, Capital One Bowl (@Orlando, FL; 1:00 PM, ABC): I mostly picked the Spartans out of spite, and after last night I’m really hoping this holds up.
- Pennsylvania State vs. Southern California, Rose Bowl (@Pasadena, CA; 4:30 PM, ABC): Despite the hype, this probably really is the best game of the day. In the end, though, I don’t know if Penn State can score enough against USC to keep up. My generic guess is that it’s close at the half and then USC pulls away late in the 3rd quarter.
- Virginia Tech vs. Cincinnati, Orange Bowl (@Miami, FL; 8:30 PM, FOX): Unless you’re a huge college football fan or a fan of either team I can’t think much of a reason to watch this game. I also hope the ACC can avoid embarassment in their latest BCS effort and win won for once.
I’ll be back later today or early tomorrow to bring you all the rest of the pre-national title game picks.