Expect the first round of bowl predictions after the BCS is released on Sunday.
As usual, all times Eastern and all predictions wrong.
- Boston College @ Florida State (ESPN): The only thing FSU has to worry about in this game is themselves. BC is still an offensive non-entity, which was certainly not a problem for FSU last weekend.
- Minnesota @ Purdue (ESPN2): My reaction upon seeing this: what the hell? These are the two worst teams in the Big Ten and theyâ€™re on national television? Meanwhile, the team people might actually want to see, Michigan State, is on the Big Ten network? How the heck did this happen? That said, you could well see Tim Brewster get fired live in national television, so it may be worth it for that. Purdue should win.
- Missouri @ Texas Agricultural & Mechanical (FSN): TAMU put up a good fight against Arkansas, but I donâ€™t think they really have it in them to beat Mizzou. Then again, Missouriâ€™s best win so far is either Illinois or Colorado, which isnâ€™t really saying much.
- Arkansas State @ Indiana (ESPNU): Indiana.
- North Carolina State @ East Carolina (CBSCS): ECU is 3-0 against C-USA, but 0-2 against VPI and UNC and neither of those games was really close. Russell Wilson and Co. should roll.
- Illinois @ Michigan State (BTN): Illinois beating Penn State last weekend says a lot more about the latter than the former. Sparty rolls.
- Vanderbilt @ Georgia (SEC): Sure, they beat Tennessee (pretty handily, too) but thereâ€™s not a whole lot of satisfaction in Athens. Vandy is cagey, but UGA should win this one.
- Maryland @ Clemson (ACC): Since the overtime loss to Auburn, Clemsonâ€™s season has been spiraling downhill, with consecutive losses to Miami and a depleted UNC. Meanwhile, Maryland sits at 5-1, but the â€œ1â€ comes to easily the best team theyâ€™ve played so far. Iâ€™m going to take Clemson here, but I donâ€™t feel good about it at all.
2:30: Western Michigan @ Notre Dame (NBC): Not a good sign when, while writing this, I had to remember that yes, in fact, all the directional Michigans are DI-A and in the MAC. Notre Dame rolls.
- Arkansas @ Auburn (CBS): This may well be the most wide open game in the history of the SEC. Arkansas also desperately needs it to keep their slim SEC West chances alive. Arkansas actually seems to play some semblance of defense, though, so Iâ€™ll take them. But if I were betting on this (note that we endorse that sort of thing) Iâ€™d take the over.
- Iowa @ Michigan (ABC/ESPN/Gameplan): Speaking of defense â€“ Iowaâ€™s got one, and Michigan emphatically does not. Will we witness another Michigan implosion after a 5-0 start? I kind of doubt it â€“ Iâ€™ll take the Wolverines.
- Texas @ Nebraska (ABC/ESPN/Gameplan): I just cannot see any way this yearâ€™s Texas team beats this yearâ€™s Nebraska team. One of the storylines I always found intriguing when it was rumored, and then announced, that Nebraska was bolting for the Big Ten after this season is sort of the idea that this whole Big 12 thing didnâ€™t really go the way the â€˜Huskers wanted it. In the old Big 8, Nebraska was king â€“ and at the time, it was naturally assumed that this would continue to be the case. And sure, the old Big 8 schools held their own at first, with Nebraska and Kansas State vying for dominance and racking up the BCS appearances. But then a funny thing happened, and next thing they knew Oklahoma and Nebraska wasnâ€™t a big rivalry anymore and Texas was getting all the headlines. Anyway, what Iâ€™m getting at here is that while Nebraska fans have had this one marked literally on the calendar since it was announced, theyâ€™ve probably been looking forward to it figuratively for a long time.
- California @ Southern California (FSN): I have no idea what to make of Cal this year. None. USC though doesnâ€™t have much of a defense. Iâ€™ll take the Bears.
- Wake Forest @ Virginia Tech (ESPNU): Wake isâ€¦ well, theyâ€™re just not very good this year. VPI rolls.
- Southern Methodist @ Navy (CBSCS): Other than the expected beatdown from TCU, SMU has been holding their own this year. Navy, though, just barely beat a terrible Wake Forest team and, well, with losses to Maryland and Air Force I donâ€™t think this year is going quite as they (or at least I) expected. Iâ€™ll take the Mustangs.
- Middle Tennessee State @ Georgia Tech (espn3.com): Itâ€™s easy to point at Dwight Dasherâ€™s first game back last Tuesday against Troy and say that he was horrible. Because he was. But that doesnâ€™t really relate to anything that might happen in Atlanta. I donâ€™t want to say this is a (sigh) trap game, but after showing decent progress last week we need to not regress going into the most important stretch on our schedule.
4:00: Brigham Young @ Texas Christian (Versus): At the beginning of the year, I probably saw this game somewhere and I probably said something like, â€œaw yeah, this is going to be a great one!â€ Yeah, not so much. TCU should roll
6:00: South Carolina @ Kentucky (ESPN2): The best part about South Carolina winning is, for me, the fact is gives Steve Spurrier ammo to start making fun of other coaches again â€“ for instance, this week he made a remark about his team â€œat least being able to count to 11â€ or some such. At any rate, Kentucky gave Auburn all they wanted and more, but theyâ€™ve still lost three straight. I suspect that will go to four.
- Ohio State @ Wisconsin (ESPN): Okay, so far Ohio State has done everything right. They thoroughly beat the one decent team they played and theyâ€™ve blown out everyone else (except Illinois). So now they go into Camp Randall Stadium the obvious favorites. Folks are giving Wisconsin a lot of credit, but really theyâ€™ve played one really good team (Michigan State) and lost, and been an okay Arizona State team. So we donâ€™t really know much about them either. Personally, Iâ€™m taking the chalk and honestly I donâ€™t think itâ€™ll be that close.
- Iowa State @ Oklahoma (FSN): I think the only way Iowa State has a chance here is if Oklahoma turns the ball over 9 times a la Nebraska last year. Sooners should roll.
- Mississippi State @ Florida (ESPNU): Okay, Florida fans, your offense actually does suck. Fine, I believe you. Thereâ€™s still no way you should lose to Miss State.
7:30: Arizona @ Washington State (Versus): Arizona.
8:00: Air Force @ San Diego State (CBSCS): San Diego Stateâ€™s good start was probably just an illusion. As long as Air Force isnâ€™t too high on having the inside track for the Commadner in Chiefâ€™s trophy for the first in forever they should be able to take care of business.
9:15: Mississippi @ Alabama (ESPN2): South Carolina is a very good football team that played the game of their lives last weekend. Ole Miss is not very good. In fact, theyâ€™re probably not even good. This one might get ugly.
10:15: Oregon State @ Washington (ESPN): I still like Oregon State a whole bunch, so Iâ€™ll take them to beat U-Dub here.
10:30: New Mexico State @ Fresno State (ESPNU): And hereâ€™s the nightcap! Fresno may be having a down here, but New Mexico State just got its first win of the year last week, and only because they played also winless New Mexico. Fresno should have this one.
All right, that was a little short, but the night schedule is relatively spaced out this week with no 8:00 ABC game. Anyway, like I said, bowl predictions sometime Sunday night or Monday!