Already this week I struck out on both of Thursdayâ€™s marquee games. So just keep in mind the below disclaimer.
As usual, all times Eastern and all predictions wrong.
- Florida State @ Wake Forest (ABC): With a clear path to the national title game, can the Seminoles not trip up against a foe thatâ€¦ well, theyâ€™ve tripped up against before? Iâ€™m thinking no.
- Kansas State @ Texas Tech (ABC): TTU was humbled a bit against Oklahoma State last week, but I doubt that K-State will be as effective against them.
- Auburn @ Tennessee (ESPN): This game was probably a tossup going into the season, but now, well, it seems like an easy Auburn victory.
- Pennsylvania State @ Minnesota (ESPN2): It feels really weird, butâ€¦ Iâ€™m going with Minnesota in this? Iâ€™m so unsure that I put a question mark there.
- Missouri @ Kentucky (ESPNU): Mizzou continues their march to Atlanta.
- Texas Christian @ Iowa State (FSN): Itâ€™s been a disappointing season for TCU, mainly due to their extremely lackluster offense. But if TCU is lackluster, than Iowa State hasnâ€™t even been acquainted with the very concept for â€œlusterâ€ at any point this season.
- Western Kentucky @ Army (CBSS): Western Kentucky already beat Navy this year, and Army is much, much worse.
- Iowa @ Purdue (BTN): There arenâ€™t very many teams Iowa could reasonably expect to outscore entirely with their offense. Purdue, with the second worst scoring offense in the FBS, is one of them.
- Vanderbilt @ Florida (SEC/FSN): Is Floridaâ€™s offense so inept and wracked by injuries that one could actually pick Vanderbilt as having a shot? The Gator defense is still legit, which means that one could be ugly and low scoring. Which is exactly what the Gators will need to win. I suspect they probably will.
- Arkansas @ Mississippi (SEC): Arkansas is a disaster this season. Maybe John L. wasnâ€™t that bad after all?
12:30: Virginia @ North Carolina (ACC): UNC has been lost on offense for most of this season, but by way of analogy UVA set off without having ever consulted a map in the first place. I like the Tar Heels here.
3:00: Southern California @ California (FOX): The Bears should probably start looking ahead to Colorado.
- Mississippi State @ Texas Agricultural and Mechanical (CBS): Miss Stateâ€™s offense isnâ€™t quite competent enough to take advantage of TAMUâ€™s awful defense, so the Aggies should be okay here.
- Nebraska @ Michigan (ABC): Well, one of these teams actually beat Minnesota. That team was not Nebraska.
- Brigham Young @ Wisconsin (ESPN): BYU is a pretty good team, and they should make the Badgers sweat, but ultimately the Storminâ€™ Mormons will probably come up short.
- Hawaii @ Navy (CBSS): Navy.
- Illinois @ Indiana (BTN): I feel a bit silly for having Illinois make a bowl game a couple weeks ago, but I donâ€™t think it was entirely unreasonable at the time. It probably is now, though. But it is reasonable to have Indiana winning, like, ever? Sure, why not.
- Syracuse @ Maryland (ACC/FSN): Neither of these teams is good or anything, but Syracuse is awful.
- Kansas @ Oklahoma State (FS1): Oklahoma State.
- North Carolina State @ Duke (ESPNU): I almost flippantly did the â€œteam name with no descriptionâ€ thing here, but then I remembered that this is Duke weâ€™re talking about it. But, well, the Blue Devils really are the better team at this point.
- Arizona State @ Utah (Pac12): Arizona State is a pretty good team, while Utah has mostly wilted in Pac-12 play (except for that increasingly inexplicable win over Stanford).
- Texas @ West Virginia (FOX): Texas has managed to remain relevant, and they should here. Then again, strange things can happen in Morgantown at night.
- Virginia Tech @ Miami (ESPN): Provided they arenâ€™t completely demoralized by getting blown away by FSU and losing their star running back, Miami still has a certain advantage over Virginia Tech: they have an offense. Of course, that presupposes Good Logan Thomas remains locked in a storage closet somewhere. That said, Iâ€™m still going with Miami.
- Houston @ Central Florida (ESPN2): In my bowl predictions, I have consistently predicted UCF losing this game. Donâ€™t let me down, Cougars.
- Southern Mississippi @ Louisiana Tech (CBSS): Louisiana Tech.
- Notre Dame @ Pittsburgh (ABC): So it turns out that Notre Dame probably isnâ€™t really good or anything, but they should be sufficiently decent enough to handle Pitt.
- Louisiana State @ Alabama (CBS): I know everyone has their hopes for this game, butâ€¦ statistically Alabama is the superior team. Like, not by a ton, but itâ€™s pretty clear-cut. Perhaps the closest comparison for a team LSU has faced this season is Florida, but only because of their defense. They toughed that one out 17-6, but as we know Floridaâ€™s offense is super inept. Now imagine a team that has a better defense than Florida, and oh yeah, a freaking idea of what theyâ€™re doing on offense, and you have Alabama. In other words, this Crimson Tide team, as loathe as I am to say it, is really good.
- Utah State @ Nevada-Las Vegas (ESPNU): Utah State.
- Colorado @ Washington (Pac12): Washington.
10:00: California-Los Angeles @ Arizona (ESPN): Arizonaâ€™s been quietly putting together a good season. Sure, they OOC schedule was a joke and theyâ€™ve pretty much only beaten the dregs of the Pac-12 (and Utah), but still, 6-2 is pretty good. But if they lose this, theyâ€™re not in good shape for the Pac-12. And, well, theyâ€™re probably going to lose.
10:15: Fresno State @ Wyoming (ESPN2): The most compelling thing here will probably be how ugly Wyomingâ€™s uniforms are on this evening. And as Iâ€™ve said in the past, I mean that in an entirely good way, as making ugly uniforms was always my objective in the Create-A-School feature of the NCAA Football games.
10:30: San Diego State @ San Jose State (CBSS): And hereâ€™s your Mountain West nightcap. Two mediocre offense, but two awful defenses, should make for some occasionally fun viewing in this Aztech vs. Spartan battle. I like the Greeks here.