One resource I’ve relied greatly upon in my World Cup pages is the listing of matchday scenarios on Wikipedia. Unfortunately, Wikipedia editors found this information and decided that no one can have nice things and shut it down. This leaves me in a bit of a lurch, but fortunately at least in some cases we’re far enough along to look at some specific scenarios for the next matchday only.
The top two teams in each group advance directly to the World Cup, while the 3rd place teams have a play-off for the Intercontinental Playoff.
- If Iran loses to Lebanon, then South Korea or Uzbekistan can clinch a spot in the World Cup with a win over the other
- Japan has clinched.
- Iraq will be eliminated if they lose to Japan and Australia or Jordan defeat the other.
Each group winner will advance to the 3rd round, where they will play a home-and-home series against another group winner.
- Ethiopia can clinch a spot in the 3rd Round with a win over South Africa.
- Tunisia can clinch a spot in the 3rd Round if Sierra Leone draws with Cape Verde
- Tunisia can also clinch with a draw and a Sierra Leon loss
- Tunisia can also clinch with a win over Equatorial Guinea
- Ivory Coast can clinch with a win or draw against Tanzania
- Zambia can clinch with a win over Sudan and a Ghana loss to Lesotho
- Congo can clinch with a win or draw over Burkina Faso
- Nigeria can clinch with a win over Namibia and a Malawi draw or loss to Kenya
- Egypt can clinch if Guinea loses or draws with Zimbabwe
- Egypt can also clinch outright with a win over Mozambique
- Algeria can clinch with a win over Rwanda and if Mali loses or draws with Benin
- Togo will be eliminated if they lose to the Democratic Republic of the Congo or if Libya defeats Cameroon or if Cameroon defeats Libya
- Congo DR will be eliminated if they lose to to Togo and Libya or Cameroon defeat the other
- Liberia will be eliminated if they lose to Senegal
- Argentina will qualify for the World Cup with a win over Ecuador